Vegas Trip Recap, Part 3

Gold Spike

by Denver Gambler on February 22, 2012

in Las Vegas,Travel

This is part three of a multi-part trip report from Las Vegas. Here are part one and two if you missed them. Otherwise, here we go.

Sunday morning we begrudgingly woke up to check out of the Orleans in time. A call downstairs to request an extra hour to check out was denied, so we got moving, got showered, and headed out. We caught a cab to Caesars and dropped off our bags at the bell desk. One couple that was travelling with us was leaving that day, so we headed to Cosmopolitan to meet them for lunch before they left.

After much discussion over whether we should eat at China Poblano or Holsteins, we finally settled on Holsteins. It was a great choice. Not only was my burger spectacular, but the selection of good craft beer was impressive. I settled on an IPA and the Steakhouse Burger. I recommend them both. No one had a bad meal. After lunch and seeing our friends off, we headed back to LVH to cash a winning sports ticket.

We decided the easiest and most economical way to get to LVH, knowing we were going back downtown later, was snagging some 24 hour Ace bus passes. We rode the bus from Paris to the Convention Center and walked over to Hilton. After cashing the winning ticket, we stopped for some $5 blackjack. The game was fun, but the dealer could not have been more boring. She wouldn’t talk or have fun, she just dealt the cards. After 20 minutes or so of hanging around, we didn’t see much of a reason to stay, so we left.

We took the bus back to the Bellagio stop and walked over to Caesars to check in. The check in lines were pretty long, but moved faster than I would have thought. We got checked in and headed to our Augustus Tower room. Unbenknownst to me at the time, we got an upgrade for my birthday to a one bedroom suite. The room was simply spectacular. The view of the Strip was equally spectacular.

After hanging out in our room for a bit and just enjoying the luxury of it, we called up a friend who lives in Las Vegas and agreed to meet him downtown. We jumped on the Ace bus and headed downtown. On the way I got a text from my friend saying he was running late, so we decided to head to the Gold Spike, as none of us had ever been there.

The Gold Spike is not big at all, but the casino is actually pretty nice. It’s clearly been remodeled and appears to be upkept decently. The only pit they have consists of 4 blackjack tables, so we decided to sit down at one for some $3 blackjack. The dealers were obviously new, but also tons of fun.

The pitboss, Richard, however was a complete dick. Words cannot do justice about how uncomfortable Richard made everyone (dealrs, players, everyone) feel. I would definitely play at the Gold Spike again, but not if Richard was the pit boss. It made me leave with a sour taste from what should have been a really fun experience. I have a lot more to say about this, so it’lll have to be it’s own post.

Anyway, our friend met us at Gold Spike and we headed to Insert Coins for a cocktail. After a drink and playing some games, we headed to Magnolia at Four Queens for dinner. As if the $9.99 Prime Rib wasn’t already awesome, they gave us a 2 for 1 coupon since it was my birthday month.

After dinner we played some craps at Four Queens that hovered around even. From there we headed to the Plaza and played more craps. After winning some money on Craps, we played Blackjack with some really fun dealers in the party pit. From the Plaza we decided to catch a cab to the Westin.

My friends and I had some great Craps runs at the Westin last June so we decided we wanted to go back. It didn’t disappoint this time either. After winning some money and getting in some blackjack and video poker, we headed to Flamingo to meet up with some friends.

At Flamingo the lure of an empty $10 craps table could not be resisted and we decided to play. After some time and rolling a lot of repetitive fours, we walked away happy and way ahead on the house. But at Harrahs we were again lured by a craps table, but this time with a different result. After abotu 30 minutes we were wiped clean of chips and on our way.

After that we decided to call it a night. We headed back to Caesars, entered out room, and found a fruit and chocolate gift bowl on the table. Even though there was a mixup in cards (the one in our room said to Christine), we eventually found out that this was a gift for my birthday. Nice touch Caesars. We snacked on the food and then went to bed.

Okay, I’ll try to wrap this up tomorrow. Stay tuned for Part four.


Previous post:

Next post: